Saturday, September 11, 2010

Subtitles

Ran into a major roadblock with the KDVD's.

I guess it was a stroke of luck (or not) that the first set of KDVD's I tried to convert into KSongLover-compatible MPEG-2 files did not utilize subtitle streams for subs, but rather, the lyrics were encoded directly onto the video streams, of which there were two. All that was required was selecting the right Angle prior to demuxing and all was well.

However, I popped in another set of KDVD's today and found that it used subtitle streams, which can be demuxed into .SUB files by DVD Decrypter, but there is no lossless way to re-mux it into an MPEG-2 file (perhaps because MPEG-2 files cannot carry subtitles?).

As far as I can tell, I must re-encode the video with the subtitles laid on top. I have yet to figure out how.

No comments: