Thursday, March 31, 2005

Alternative Career?

Coming up on 10 months on my internship, and I'm still not sure if this is what I could be doing for the rest of my life. Maybe something different, something more hardware-related. But coding? Not so sure about that.

Nor am I limiting my career options to the field of computer engineering, or even computer or engineering in general. If I had to brainstorm right this moment, I'd say writing for a living could be a possibility. Not necessarily books, but maybe articles, columns and such. I'd probably need to learn proper grammar though.

Another option might be going into further studies, perhaps in Mathematics or Computer Science. Makes sense to pursue studies in subjects that I'm good at and enjoy.

Meanwhile, I might make fringe hobbies of photography, or perhaps something sports-related. Perhaps refereeing or coaching. I'm sure the Canadian Soccer Association offers courses. In fact, maybe I could combine those and think about sports photography.

Speaking of photography, Dad called asking if I wanted the Canon PowerShot G6 for taking pictures when they visit. He said I could either buy that, or wait till I come back and get myself a digital SLR. For the moment, I guess I'll settle for the G6; the DSLR can wait a few years while I hone my photography skills.

I suppose a 21-year-old can still dream about what he wants to be when he grows up. Hopefully, this isn't just one big April Fool's joke.

No comments: