Saturday, February 18, 2006

Squirrelly Wisdom

Bloody cold outside today again. Parked the other side of the University station nevertheless. And as I came down the stairs toward the university, a black squirrel with something that initially looked like a nut of some sort caught my eyes as it raced toward, then up, a tree next to the sidewalk. My eyes followed it up the trees, and I slowed to a stop and watched it as it began chewing on what now seemed more like half an apple. And there I stood for a good five to ten minutes in the bloody cold as it munched on the frozen fruit. For a second it appeared to stare at me staring at it while it feasted. Then it leapt onto another branch and ignored me as it went about munching.

It got me thinking, how a squirrel managed to find food in the middle of winter. Surely God was watching over it. Surely God prepared the apple for this day. And I thought, if God watches over this squirrel, surely He watches over me. Yet the squirrel did not just kick back and wait for food to drop in its lap. It went to search for it. "Seek and ye shall find." Just as the Israelites had to go out and gather manna, which did drop out of the skies. Lesson? Nothing comes without effort. I still need to do my part on Earth.

That's it for now, way past my bedtime.

Edit (Feb 23, 2006 @ 00:25): Okay, my bad... manna didn't exactly drop out of the skies... quails did... but you get my drift...

No comments: