Sunday, February 18, 2007

Classical Concert Etiquette

Went to the Shostakovich 10 concert at the Jack Singer last night (with my mom... sad...).

Sat near the back of the orchestra center section, and unfortunately the older couple behind us weren't quite as well-schooled in concert etiquette as one would like. Twice during the first piece they spoke above a whisper. Not to mention the constant lip-licking sound from the old man sitting right behind me. Thankfully, they moved over to open seats across the aisle after the intermission.

Even more unfortunate, however, was my cold. Midway through the Shostakovich piece my throat started to tickle, and, realizing I couldn't stifle my coughs, I had to walk out briskly so I don't start hacking away in the concert hall and draw stares from every corner.

It was certainly an evening of wonderful music, nevertheless. The young Tokyo-born Canadian violinist, Ms. Karen Gomyo, was sensational (not to mention stunning in her scarlett-red dress). And while some conductors may appear to be putting on a show with exaggerated expressions and body language, Maestro Roberto Minczuk focused on the music, which, as the oldest bassoonist in the CPO (I believe it was Mr. Stephen Franse) said in his introductory spiel, was uplifting, strengthening, as well as bright and powerful and plenty more.

I'm hoping to get tickets for a few more concerts in March and April. Of course, there's also the John Mayer concert in Edmonton I'm going to. It's gonna be fun~

2 comments:

Music Monster said...

At least your mom would go to a classical concert with you. My mom won't even consider ... unless I'm playing in it. Hahaha ... Shosty is great.

Alex said...

Heh yeah there was some very powerful percussion stuff in his Symphony #10, so that's right up your alley. :)