Wednesday, February 07, 2007

That Selfish Bastard

Was running a bit late this morning.

As I got out of the train station, I saw a rather unkempt white male with a walker walking toward me. He stopped and asked for change. Said he wanted to take the bus to Superstore. I dug out whatever change I found in my pocket ($1.65) and handed it to him. He started talking about himself. While I politely listened and chimed in as necessary, all I had on my mind was that I should get moving. When he was finally done and we went our separate ways, guilt set in.

Profess our faith as we may, yet when it comes to actually practising it, how many of us can even come close to the example Jesus set for us? Was I really concerned with that man's well-being? Or was I more preoccupied with my getting to the office? And I didn't even give him enough change for the bus.

Alex, you're a selfish, selfish bastard.

No comments: