Wednesday, February 09, 2005

ASP.NET - Final Solution

Thanks to Dane Bertram for reminding me to have another look at ASP.NET Web Matrix. Despite lacking many of the features offered by Visual Studio, it turns out to be quite enough for doing the labs on Fritz Onion's webcasts. Here are a couple of things that Web Matrix does not do very well or at all:

Code-behind
Referencing assemblies
Intellisense
Code completion

On the plus side, Web Matrix is small (1.3MB download), easy to use, comes with a Cassini-like local webserver, and is absolutely free. It also has database functionalities, which I have not had the time to explore yet.

So in the meantime, I will be using Web Matrix for learning ASP.NET 1.1. By the way, I've heard rumours that there won't be a new version of Web Matrix to support ASP.NET 2.0. I'm fine with that, though, since I should be home with my Windows XP Pro machine by the time I'm ready to make the jump to .NET Framework 2.0.

No comments: