Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Apache Behind Firewall/NAT

Still having trouble with my Apache 2.0.52 installation on a laptop connected wirelessly to a firewall/NAT router. Perhaps someone will pass by here, read this, and help me out.

Port forwarding is done on port 80 on my SMC wireless barricade using both Virtual Server and Special Applications (triggers?). As far as I can tell, Apache does receive packets through the router (Norton Antivirus asked if I wanted to permit Apache when my friend outside my intranet tried to access my site). But the Apache access logs don't show anything,

At the moment I'm fairly certain that the problem lies with my Apache configuration. I've read numerous fixes on the web (port forwarding, NameVirtualHost, etc.) but none of them seem to work. I'll try a different web server program first to see if the problem is Apache, but any input from those in the know would be greatly appreciated.

2 comments:

Alex said...

Based on the fact that I could use remote desktop through the router to my desktop computer, I think there shouldn't be a problem serving HTTP from that box. Perhaps that's what I'll try next, serving off the desktop rather than my wireless laptop.

Alex said...

Nevermind, ya'll. Turns out the problem was with my router conveniently blocking off port 80 DESPITE port forwarding being turned ON for port 80.

Stupid stupid stupid Alex... took me six months to find out the problem was with one teensy weensy little number.