Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Luck

It intrigues me how people would rather count on luck to get them through the obstacles in life than to place their hopes in the One who loves them and who has the cosmos in the palm of His hand.

Some ask others to "wish them luck" in the face of challenges, like final exams or project proposals or business meetings with potential clients or major surgeries or live performances. But what is luck? And where does it come from? Who does it belong to? Whose is it to give? And on what conditions are they given? How do you know when you have it? What can you do to earn it? Who can you ask for it? How do you know it is working for you and not against?

I don't need luck. And I've always tried to avoid using the phrase "good luck" for my friends and my brothers and sisters. Especially my brothers and sisters. You see, it's more important for me (and for us all) to have God's love than to have luck, more desirable to have God on your side than Lady Luck on your side.

Love is God (because God is love). Love comes from God. Love belongs to God. Love is God's to give. Love is given unconditionally. You have love when you have God. You don't need to do anything to earn love. You can ask God for love. And God's love is always for you, never against.

Those, my friend, are the reasons why I'd choose God and His love over some vague concept as luck, which I see as grasping at straws and at wisps of smoke. Because those questions can be answered for God's love.

"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love." - Jesus, John 15:9

No comments: